When and if implemented correctly, standard operating procedures in pharmaceuticals play a fundamental role – as far as quality assurance and best practice are concerned. What is a standard operating procedure? Basically, they are written instructions that describe how a routine task should be carried out.
Systematic practices and procedures usually form a regular part of everyday tasks within pharmaceutical companies. The practices are routinely observed to make sure that tasks are carried out in a safe and efficient manner – and to a particular standard. It is imperative that these procedures are documented and integrated into regular review and training within the organization. By doing this, numerous other benefits are obtained. For instance, consistencies of service and high-quality levels are guaranteed. Further, the pharmaceutical firm will ensure that good practice is accomplished always. Lastly, the expertise of the workforce is utilized effectively.
To reap these benefits, one must understand how to write a standard operating procedure in pharmaceuticals. Here, you will find the basics and highly useful tips.
1. Who is the reader? It is imperative that you determine who the reader of the standard operation procedure will be. You should have a particular reader in mind. Upon establishing who the reader is, the writing should be tailored accordingly.
2. Prepare a rough flowchart: A flowchart offers you a clear representation of the entire process prior to breaking it up into steps of processes or procedures. For this reason, ensure that you have a flowchart.
3. Action words: They are very useful in almost every aspect of life. When noting down every step of the procedure, begin with an action word. Such words include take, lift, turn on and so on and so forth.
4. Have a rough draft: Now that you have a flowchart with you, use it to prepare your rough draft. The flowchart must already have the set of procedures applicable to the performance of the firm’s routine tasks. At this point, write as if you are talking. This is highly advisable when the train of thoughts must be maintained. You will find this tip extremely helpful.
5. Graphics and visuals: Incorporate graphics and visuals when writing standard operating procedures for your pharmaceutical firm. More often than not, they are more effective than text. This explains why they are regularly used by business managers to present important company information such as performance or goals.
6. Take the time to revise your draft
7. After revising the draft, you may want to consider editing the guidelines
8. Establish where the standard operating procedure is really clear. It is important to make sure that the SOP is clear and user-friendly for the intended users.
9. The SOP example must be written in a logical manner.
10. Find out if there are any news ideas that have been introduced. Have the explanations for the same been provided satisfactorily?
11. Make sure that the sentences aren’t too long or complicated. The procedures should be easy to understand to facilitate accurate implementation.
12. Lastly, eliminate any sections of standard operating procedures that are vague. As already stated, they should make perfect sense to the reader for them to offer any benefits.